It is not uncommon for patients with dentures to change over to dental implants. Omaha patients who make this switch often report an improvement in their quality of life. This is because implants feel, act, and look like natural teeth. There is none of the slippage that occurs with dentures. Activities such as eating and speaking become less difficult and embarrassing. Dental implants are also a more healthy option, as they do not allow for bone deterioration and preserve the facial structure. There are a number of advantages to choosing dental implants in Omaha over dentures. These include:
• Natural materials – Dentures are made from foreign materials such as plastic and cast metal. These cause irritation and discomfort. Dental implants are made from titanium, which is naturally compatible with the body. They both look and feel like actual teeth.
• Added stability – Dentures are made to simply rest on top of the gums. This causes them to slip around in the mouth and make embarrassing noises. Dental implants, however, are fused with the jawbone and cannot be removed without additional surgery.
• Versatility – Implants can be used to replace any number of teeth. Dentures, however, can only replace multiple teeth.
• Long term success – Although the dental crown may need replacement every so often, the implant itself will most likely be permanent if it is properly cared for. Dentures, however, need to be replaced every five to seven years.
• Preservation of the Jawbone – Dentures will actually cause for the underlying bone and soft tissue to deteriorate over time. Dental implants give Omaha patients stimulation to the gums and jawbone just like natural teeth would.
As you can see, dentures are quickly becoming a thing of the past. With dental implants, Omaha patients will experience a much greater quality of life. Dental implants are more functional, more natural, and more comfortable than dentures.
Dr. Stacy Moffenbier, a Periodontist located in Omaha, Nebraska, serves patients from Bellevue, NE, Springfield, NE, and Gretna, NE as well as other surrounding areas. We look forward to welcoming you to our practice and encourage you to schedule an appointment today.