Dr. Stacy Moffenbier is an Omaha periodontist who works with dental implants in Omaha, NE. Dental implants are quickly becoming the number one solution for missing teeth. Previously, patients only had either dentures or a dental bridge to choose from. However, new technology has brought us dental implants. Omaha patients can now replace missing teeth in a natural and nondestructive way. Unlike previous solutions, dental implants function almost identical to the missing teeth while preventing bone and tissue deterioration. This makes them a healthier and more attractive replacement option for missing teeth.
In order to fully understand the benefits of dental implants, Omaha patients must first understand how they work. There are three main components:
• The implant – This is a small titanium post that is surgically implanted into your jawbone. After about four to six months, the titanium will become naturally fused with the bone tissue in a way that replicates the root structure of the missing teeth.
• The abutment – This is fitted over the part of the implant that sticks out past the gum line.
• The crown – This is placed over the abutment. Crowns are usually made from ceramic and shaped and colored to match the appearance of the missing teeth.
Traditional solutions for missing teeth pose major risks of complication. However, we now have a much healthier and ideal solution with dental implants. Omaha patients no longer have to suffer the loss of bone and soft tissue. Almost anybody can be a candidate for dental implants. Even patients who have suffered bone loss due to missing teeth can undergo bone grafting surgery. Only small children whose jaws have not developed might not be eligible for the procedure. Additionally, patients with certain illnesses, such as hemophilia, may be considered a risk and deemed ineligible for dental implants.
Dental Implants vs Dentures
It is not uncommon for patients with dentures to change over to dental implants. Omaha patients who make this switch often report an improvement in their quality of life. This is because implants feel, act, and look like natural teeth. There is none of the slippage that occurs with dentures. Activities such as eating and speaking become less difficult and embarrassing. Dental implants are also a more healthy option, as they do not allow for bone deterioration and preserve the facial structure. There are a number of advantages to choosing dental implants in Omaha over dentures. These include:
• Natural materials – Dentures are made from foreign materials such as plastic and cast metal. These cause irritation and discomfort. Dental implants are made from titanium, which is naturally compatible with the body. They both look and feel like actual teeth.
• Added stability – Dentures are made to simply rest on top of the gums. This causes them to slip around in the mouth and make embarrassing noises. Dental implants, however, are fused with the jawbone and cannot be removed without additional surgery.
• Versatility – Implants can be used to replace any number of teeth. Dentures, however, can only replace multiple teeth.
• Long term success – Although the dental crown may need replacement every so often, the implant itself will most likely be permanent if it is properly cared for. Dentures, however, need to be replaced every five to seven years.
• Preservation of the Jawbone – Dentures will actually cause for the underlying bone and soft tissue to deteriorate over time. Dental implants give Omaha patients stimulation to the gums and jawbone just like natural teeth would.
As you can see, dentures are quickly becoming a thing of the past. With dental implants, Omaha patients will experience a much greater quality of life. Dental implants are more functional, more natural, and more comfortable than dentures.
Single Missing Tooth
It is not uncommon for a patient to experience a single missing tooth because of injury or illness. Previously, the only solution to this would have been a dental bridge. However, the dental bridge was found to lead to complications over time. The main problem was that it caused damage to otherwise healthy teeth. This is because the dental bridge requires tooth enamel to be removed from adjacent teeth so they can be used as anchors. Another problem was the lack of stimulation to the jawbone. This meant that deterioration of the bone and surrounding gum tissue occurred, thus altering the facial structure and enhancing any signs of aging. Luckily, we now have dental implants. Omaha patients can receive a healthier and more natural alternative to the dental bridge.
Dental Implant FAQs
Why should I consider implant dentistry?
Not only will a missing tooth impact your oral health, it will affect your overall quality of life as well. If you don’t replace your missing tooth, you will find that your appearance suffers as well as your daily life. Activities such as chewing your food or speaking clearly become difficult and sometimes painful. With dental implants, Omaha patients will see these issues eliminated.
What benefits does implant dentistry provide?
Implant dentistry is a safe and predictable solution for tooth replacement. Other solutions, such as dentures or bridges, can lead to complications. With Dental implants, Omaha patients are provided with a natural appearance and functionality that cannot be found elsewhere. Simply put, implant dentistry is a healthier and more attractive solution.
Am I eligible for dental implants?
Almost anybody is a candidate for implant dentistry. Patients of all ages can receive dental implants. Even if you have experienced significant bone loss in the area, we can perform a bone grafting procedure.
What is the success rate with implant dentistry?
Dental implants are successful 97% of the time. In cases where the implants are not successful, we will attempt to place them in a slightly different location where there is a higher chance of them integrating with the bone.
Is implant dentistry painful?
No, it is not. Before the surgery, you will be given a local anesthetic to ensure there is no pain or discomfort. After the procedure, you will be prescribed pain medication to reduce any soreness or discomfort that might occur.
How long is the recovery period?
With implant dentistry, patients will usually be able to return to work the following day.
How do I care for my implants?
Dental implants require the same care and maintenance as regular teeth. This means daily brushing and flossing along with periodic check-ups and professional cleanings.
Dr. Stacy Moffenbier, a Periodontist located in Omaha, Nebraska, serves patients from Bellevue, NE, Springfield, NE, and Gretna, NE as well as other surrounding areas. We look forward to welcoming you to our practice and encourage you to schedule an appointment today.