LANAP Laser Treatment Omaha, NE
Dr. Stacy Moffenbier is an Omaha Periodontist who works with the Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP®) gum disease treatment. LANAP® is an innovative new form of gum disease treatment where bacteria and diseased tissue can be removed without the use of a blade. Millions of Americans suffer from gum disease each year but very few receive treatment. This is partly because they fear the negative side effects involved. However, with LANAP® there is no cutting or stitching involved. Patients can receive gum disease treatment without the pain and discomfort that is often associated with the procedure.
LANAP® offers several benefits over traditional gum disease treatment. These include:
• Less pain – Because there is no cutting or stitching of the tissue involved, patients experience less pain and discomfort than with traditional gum disease treatment.
• Shorter recovery period – LANAP® is less invasive than traditional gum disease treatment and so there is less time required for healing.
• Less downtime – There is rarely a need for post operative pain medication. This means that patients can continue with their daily routine that very same day.
• Less recession of the gum line – Because only diseased tissue is removed from the area, there is plenty of gum tissue left over. This means there is very little to no recession of the gum line.
• Less bleeding – With LANAP® we can use a laser to help create a blood clot and control the bleeding. This means that there is less blood and a smaller risk of complication than with traditional gum disease treatment.
• Promotion of bone and tissue regeneration – LANAP® is the only procedure that is proven to help regenerate bone and tissue regrowth. This means that we can often save teeth that would normally need to be removed.
The secret to the success of LANAP® gum disease treatment is the PerioLase® MVP-7™. This is a highly intelligent new technology that is able to distinguish between healthy and disease tissue. It is the only laser with the science and research to prove its usefulness. Call Dr. Moffenbier today to learn more about gum disease treatment, and why your Omaha periodontist is using a PerioLase® MVP-7™.
The LANAP® Procedure
If you have been diagnosed with periodontal disease and are in need of treatment, you need to know the difference between traditional gum disease treatment and the Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP®). Traditional gum disease treatment relies on a scalpel to cut away and remove diseased tissue. Unfortunately, there is often a lot of collateral damage and some additional bone or tissue grafting may be required to reattach the tissue to the surface of the tooth. Although in some cases, the only viable option is traditional gum disease treatment, LANAP® is almost always an option.
LANAP® gum disease treatment does not use a blade or require stitches. Instead it uses a laser to remove bacteria in a minimally invasive way. In fact, the entire procedure is performed in just six short steps by Omaha periodontist, Dr. Stacy Moffenbier:
• Measurement of the pocket depths – First, your Omaha periodontist will need to measure the depth of your pockets to see how much loss of attachment has occurred.
• Then the laser will make it’s first pass over the area and remove any bacteria and disease tissue. Because the laser is not absorbed by water, bone, or healthy tissue, this method of gum disease treatment is much less invasive than traditional gum disease treatment.
• The lasers themselves cannot remove calculus from the teeth, but they can help to denature it and enable easier removal. Your Omaha periodontist will use ultrasonic scalers for this part.
• The next step in LANAP® gum disease treatment is to stimulate bone and tissue regrowth. During this step, the laser will also create a blood clot, forming a clean and stable environment for healing to begin.
• Then we will recompress the tissue against the surface of the tooth. There are no sutures required for this step.
• The last and final step in LANAP® gum disease treatment is to check your bite and make any necessary adjustments. This is done to ensure that no considerable trauma has been done to your teeth.
LANAP® is less invasive than traditional gum disease treatment due to the lack of any cutting of tissue. The result is less pain and less bleeding for the patient. This is possible because the laser is operated at a wavelength that can differentiate between healthy and diseased tissue. For the first time, we are finally able to remove bacteria from gums without causing any unnecessary pain.